As the summer comes to a close and the new school year begins, I can't help but think about how much I love this time of year. Because I missed so much of the summer while I was in the hospital, I think I am even more grateful this year for the great moments I did have this season. Please allow me to indulge myself by recalling a few of my favorite things from this summer... (You will see that most of this list includes not "things" but people and experiences. I have definitely concluded that things, while fun, are not important in the scheme of things. It is the people we love and surround ourselves with that really matter.) Now, back to the list!
1. My husband is my best friend, and tops the list of my favorites, anytime of the year! He is also a great father, and as I found out this year, also a wonderful caregiver. To quote one of my dearest life-long friends, Brad White, Tolan is "one heck of a good man". I second that. Our little family is definitely a clear favorite!
2. The family I grew up in is an easy favorite, and although this isn't a great pic, I love those in the photo, (3 of my brothers, Scott, Brandon and Brett, my hubby, my sister, Tami, and my brother-in-law, Dave). I love that we are now old enough to all get along and that we all know how amazing our parents and family truly are! (Wish Tami had been looking at the camera...she is a definite favorite and a beauty!)
3. My 4 children are my favorites and I love it when they try new things! I love to watch their excitement and trepidation as they take on new adventures in life! Trenden going tubing down the river in Morgan, UT, earlier this summer was a fun adventure...I would guess this was the first of many tube rides down the river. 3. (Continued...) Casen right before his first soccer game on Saturday (giving me the ultimate "thumbs up"). 4-year old soccer has got to be one of the cutest things in the world to see! Watching as he stood on the field and put his arms in the air and said, "what do I do, Mom?" was another super cute moment.
3. (Continued...) Daven on his first horse-back ride on Saturday at the Seibert's house in Mountain Green. He LOVED it and we couldn'tget enough of his huge grin! Daven's smile and darling laugh are definitely some of my favorite things!
3. (Continued...) Lindi on horseback was also adorable! Watching her grow and blossom is another favorite. :) She has been wanting to go horseback riding for a long time. Although this was just a little ride around the corral, she loved it and can't wait for more!
4. Relaxing in my backyard by the waterfall is absolutely one of my favorite things to do....in the spring, summer and fall. Watching Casen water the plants is also a blast (we were nearly flooded out by the time he finished.)
5. Gardening is one of my favorite things, but watching Daven put the veggies in his wheelbarrow and take them around the yard is even better! Gotta love this little guy!
6. Friends are some of my favorite "things"! In this case, my good friend, neighbor and Health Care in America Contest winner, Belinda Jackson, getting her winning basket! I love all my friends, wherever they are throughout the world, and I am grateful for my good neighbors who are close enough to share in the daily triumphs and tragedies of life! Love you, Belinda!
7. New hair styles are one of my favorite "pick me up" feel-good things! (Especially since I am still missing 1/3 of my hair and more is falling out! At least a fun new do can hide all the "shaved" parts! Oh, and I love the fact that one of my young women at church told me how to do my hair this way. (A little egg white and sugar mixed together and you, too, can have curls for a day! Thanks, Emilie!)