The first few days of school for the kids have proven harder for me than expected. I was managing fine on my own when there wasn't so much running around to do, but this is a bit more challenging. Next week when my 4-year-old Casen starts preschool, I will have a better understanding of what the year will really be like. I have continued to have headaches, but hopefully they will subside as we get more settled in our new schedule. Thanks to the many friends (Heather and Kathryn especially) who have offered to help drive my kids to and from their activities. This really helps me feel like life is more manageable, and allows me to rest when needed. :)
I think we finally have all the bills from the hospital and surgeries, so the time is nearly here. If you haven't already, enter your guess for the total amount of all my bills for the tumor diagnosis/removal/surgeries/recovery process and appointments. The winner is the guess that is the closest to the total amount, without going over (think Price Is Right rules). I will announce the winner on Friday or Monday, once the bills are all totaled. The following prizes await the lucky winner: $25 gift card to IKEA, A box of Hawaiian chocolates, and a $15 gift card to Cold Stone Creamery. :)
If you already entered in July, you do not need to enter again, unless you are changing your guess. I still have the orginal guesses, but you may submit another guess if you are somehow wiser now than you were a month ago!
CONTEST: I decided some time ago to make this a fun process, rather than a painful one. This is all in good fun and will hopefully help us appreciate how good our healthcare really is, even if it does cost a bit (thank goodness for insurance). So, please base your "guess" on the following info:
* 2 MRIs to diagnose the tumor
* Multiple dr. apts. with specialists, neurosurgeons, ENTs, etc.
* 2 Full body CT scans and 2 more MRIs prior to suregery
* 2 Craniotomy surgeries, the first with 1 neurosurgeon and 1 Neuro ENT, the second with a Neurosurgeon (10+ hours of surgery total)
* 2 Lumbar drains, inserted and removed
* 4 CT scans in the hospital
* 1 Brain surgery to seal the Euchstation tube and correct a deviated septum, by a Neuro ENT (2.5 hours total)
* 34 days in the hospital, 28 days in the Neuro Acute Care Unit, 6 days in the Neuro Critical Care Unit
* 1 "Gold weight" and collagen eyelid surgery by an opthamologist
* 3 Follow-up apts (1 with each specialist)
So, give or take a few minor procedures and hundreds of shots and doses of medication, this is the basic list. It does not include my follow-up apts since the list was posted. Make sure your friends and family who read the blog make their guesses, too. HAVE FUN and GUESS AWAY!!!