Thursday, April 30, 2009

To Biopsy or not to Biopsy....

So, the question of the day is, "Is it worth the risk to biopsy the tumor to find out what it is?"

Jodi talked to Dr. Couldwell again yesterday for just a few minutes with this question in mind. Tolan and Jodi will meet with Dr. Couldwell on May 11 to discuss all the options for a biopsy. She could have had the biopsy performed next week, but with Dr. Couldwell out of town until the night before the proposed procedure, there would be no time to find out the options and discuss the risks vs. benefits of the procedure before heading to the OR. So, once again, it will be a matter of time. Waiting isn't fun, but it is better than being too hasty (can't be too cautious when it comes to the brain).

Hopefully in the next meeting, they will talk about the different procedure "paths" (where they will go in and how they will navigate to get to the tumor), as well as risks vs benefits discussion. The risks are many, but the benefit of finding out what we are really dealing with and how to treat it is very appealing.

So, in the meantime, Jodi is hoping for more good days where she can do a few things for herself and her family. She has an appointment on May 7 with Dr. Shelton, an ENT in Salt Lake that will likely perform the biopsy with Dr. Couldwell if they proceed down that path.

Hopefully the next week will also bring about the connection with the Johns Hopkins team so they can begin reviewing the case, as well. Wish there was more concrete info to update, but these things are slow going.

2 comments:

annie said...

It's good to hear that you are able to get up and move about a little more the last couple of days. We are praying that you will make all the connections that you need to next week. Happy Hugs. Annie

Cynthia and Joe said...

Dear Jodi,
I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear of your illness. I was feeling restless and just couldn't sleep so I thought I would check my facebook, which I never have time for anymore. I am glad I did, I think it was the Holy Spirit telling me "something's up... you can get your beauty sleep later!". As you probably know, I am not very good at expressing my thoughts or feelings... but I know that I love you very much, you have been a great example to me...I truly look up to you and admire you. I hope I can be such a wonderful mother to Sofie as you are to your children.
You and your family are in our prayers. Please let me know if you need child care or food or whatever! My mom and my home are open if you ever need us.
Lots of love and prayers,
Cynthia Fuller and family