Sunday, May 16, 2010

. . . . . . Seasons of our Lives

Made famous by the Beatles years ago, Ecclesiastes 3:1 tells us that "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." In such a simple sentence, we learn many things, including the fact that there is a PURPOSE to every season. I believe each of us experiences many seasons throughout our lives. I have come out of a very long, hard winter, and am entering a spring of renewal, growth and budding flowers.

What season are you in, right now? Are you experiencing the warmth and growth of summer, or the cold air and falling leaves of fall? Are you still learning and progressing, or are you falling behind and getting discouraged?

My husband told me a quote that has stuck with me. "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."

Like this quote so aptly states, no weather, or season, in itself is bad, but in order to make it through the hard and harsh months of our own personal winters, we must be prepared. If we take on the full armor of God and dress ourselves in the protective layers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we can be shielded when the winds blow and the snow falls. We can stay warm amidst the storm.

So much learning has taken place over the last year and I know the lessons could only have been learned by surviving the coldest of storms. Knowing there is a PURPOSE to it all helps me understand and appreciate my seasons. I am grateful for my winter, and more grateful for the sacred layers of protection that covered me, taught me and have brought me into spring.

No comments: