Sunday, January 3, 2010

. . . . . . . . . A New Year

It is with many mixed emotions that I said "good bye" to 2009 and welcomed in 2010. Charles Dickens started out the book, A Tale of Two Cities, with a paragraph describing the state of things, ending with "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." That is exactly how I feel about the year that just ended.

There were days when I felt like I was deeply in the worst of times. There was pain, sickness and tears that I could never could have anticipated. There were nights when I thought I would never leave the hospital. There were moments when I said good bye to my family members, sure that our time together on Earth was over. The emotions are so deep that I cannot really say how I feel inside about those times.

But most of the year was filled with the best of times, times that could not have been experienced without the challenges. There were so many miracles and blessings that my life has literally been transformed. Though it is not a visible transformation, I can feel everyday that I am a new person. I have been blessed by people around me, by people far from me, by people I have never met. These people, the angels in my life, have blessed my family and helped us have miracles.

My young children have learned, grown and we have been strengthened as a family. Tolan and I are closer than ever before. We know we can make it through anything. Is all of this worth the trials of a brain tumor? Is it worth the pain? In my mind, it is not only worth it, the challenges are the blessings that brought about the miracles.

So, I guess you could say it was a good year, a very good year. Here is to much more good in the year to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Deb said...

Jodi,

Thanks for your insights. I hope its okay, but I shared them on my next door neighbor's blog. Her 7 year old son is on his 29th day in the hospital seriously ill and none of the doctors have any idea what is wrong with him. They are having a hard time hanging on to hope. Thanks for your words...hope they help others have faith for just a little longer.

If you are interested, her blog is prayformarky.blogspot.com

Aloha! We love you!

Meli & Irene Lesuma said...

Jody, Tolan and the children,
As you return to the mainland today, we wish to echo our family's mahalos and vinakas to you for radiating so much courage and faith in the short time we were able to be near you. It is an inspiration to us, and how grateful we are to a benevolent heavenly father and his son Jesus Christ for the power of the priesthood, faith and prayer. You have touched more lives than you will ever know because like aripple on the water, it will reach distant shores. May God bless you and all the very best for the future.