Saturday, March 13, 2010

. . . . . . . .Temporary vs. Eternal

Many people lately have commented to me about my new symptoms and how sorry they are that I am having more problems. New symptoms are never fun and they are often disheartening. I usually need a day or two (or week or two) to “vent” it out before I can cope and move on. Now that I have done that I am dealing with everything better.

The way I see it is that symptoms and pain are temporary. They are part of this life. My family, however, they are forever, and I can’t risk losing my eternal family over my temporary problems. If I lost my testimony of Jesus Christ or ignored my family "in favor" of my illness, I would lose what really matters, forever.

So, when something new hits, I try to give myself time to come to grips, then I try (I emphasize try, not all my attempts are perfect!) to re-focus again. It helps me not focus on “Me” and “my pain” so much, but on what really counts! Frankly, they are far more fun to focus on anyway. My hubby and little ones continue to amaze me every day with their prayers, caring and unconditional love! I would never want to jeopardize that!

3 comments:

Jason said...

Boy do I know all about this. I comment all of the time about how I hate focusing on myself all day/every day. It's the one big issue that I have with chronic health issues- it makes you somewhat selfish. When you're always sick or sore, you often can't help but get carried away in your suffering. Or at least it's that way a lot with me. I love that you truly know the difference between the two- temporary and eternal- and that you live an example of it each day. That's what inspires me the most about you. So thanks for that :)
Much love to you and yours my friend :)

britt said...

what an incredible positive perspective you take on the things that could send others down a much more negative road.
it was soo great to talk to you on friday. thanks for making my day!!

Anonymous said...

What a good way to look at things...you are so right on. Oh my dear , hang in there~ love you lots...