Friday, March 19, 2010

. . . . . . .Time to Prepare

Recent earthquakes, tsunamis and other natural disasters have wreaked havoc and destruction on people throughout the world. When disaster struck, they had no time to prepare, they simply had to act to save themselves and those around them.

In the Bible, especially in the early books, (Exodus, Leviticus, Joshua), we read of the Lord's commandments to His people. As the Israelites wandered in the wilderness they were instructed to do certain things. As time continued, the Lord became frustrated with their efforts and lack of faith. After a while, He began punishing the people immediately, if were not following His commandments for them.

The people knew what they were supposed to do, and yet the often chose not to obey. The Lord began acting promptly, as a way to demonstrate His power. Upon disobedience to His commands, whole families and cities were wiped out in a day and those who remained saw that as a reminder to do His will.

Today I believe the Lord is far more patient with us. He gives us chance after chance to right our wrongs, repent and come unto Him.

However, as the natural disasters of our time demonstrate, the time for our preparations is now. Perhaps the Lord is gently reminding all of us to obey and prepare. In Alma 34:32, we are told that this life is the time for man to prepare to meet God. What are you doing each day for your preparations?

As I contemplated this, I realized I need to alter some of my daily activities to prepare myself both temporally and spiritually. This will be my reminder each day that my tasks and "to do" lists should be focused on activities that will help me draw closer to my Savior and prepare me for what is to come.

No comments: