Monday, June 28, 2010

. . . . . . . We're All Family

This morning I received a phone call from my dear friend, Randy. He and I have served together in church and been friends for about 5 years now. He was excited to tell me a story from yesterday, when he went to his parents' home for dinner. It turns out that his niece is dating my cousin. They figured out the connection when Randy's sister shared a story about her brain tumor experience (eerily similar to my own). At that time, Brian mentioned his cousin had a brain tumor last year. Randy's wife made the connection and soon they were sharing my stories from the last year.

It's funny how "small" the world is. It really is a small, small world in so many ways. We are all so connected to each other, through family, friends, and faith. Randy and I may end up becoming "family" if his niece and my cousin get married, but even if we don't he still feels like family to me. And, as he reminded me today, we really are all family anyway. Somewhere down our family lines, we have a common thread. And, more importantly, we are all children of God, and that makes us brothers and sisters in the Gospel.

It has been years since I have seen my cousin, Brian, and his family. I am glad my good friend helped us get together in spirit, if not in person. His mom is an angel who visited me and brought me strength in the hospital when my struggles were far greater than they are now. I have a great love for that family, though I don't see or know them as well as I'd like.

I am also so grateful for all of you, my "extended family". It is your strength that keeps me going. Thank you.

1 comment:

britt said...

what a neat story and wow small world!