Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hospital Stay - Day 28 - Doing Better

Jodi is doing better since yesterday's surgery. She is still in pain and sore, which are after-effects of the surgery, but she hasn't had a spinal headache and thus far there is no sign of spinal fluid leaks.

She thinks she would have had a reasonable night's sleep if only they had not come to take blood three different times during the night...at 2:30 a.m., 4:00 a.m., and 6:00 a.m. They took a total of seven vials. We don't know why so many blood samples and why they disturbed her sleep so many times. Otherwise the doctors, nurses, and aids have been doing a wonderful job.

They want to move Jodi back up to the 5th floor from the ICU today, but all of the rooms are full, so we don't know what will happen yet.

Jodi is hoping to get a bath or shower today. It's been a long time. They also want to start getting Jodi up to test how she can handle it. They'll start slow and work up to more. They want to start giving her some food. She hasn't really eaten hardly anything in several days. She's feeling hungry though and that's a good sign. Riht now she is trying some Cream 'o Wheat.

We are all hoping and praying that from this point on Jodi will be experiencing the recovery that all have been praying for. Thank you again for the wonderful blessing you are and have been to Jodi and to all of us.

Below are some before and after pictures from yesterday.

Preparing for surgery.

Tolan testing the 100% oxygen Jodi had been on all Sunday night to reduce the air pockets that had formed around her brain.

Jodi recovering from her 3rd surgery. She was feeling very cold "everywhere", so the nurse heated up a blanket to put around her head. Note all the IV's she had going.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good news Jodi. I am just so happy that the surgery is over and it looks like it is helping. I am and will continue praying for you and your family. Love you, Sue Davis

Carol Liptrot said...

Yea Jodi! It looks like things have taken the turn around we have been praying for. I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well. I hope you are able to start eating more and getting your strength back soon. I'm sure all your family is delighted and the kids are anxious for you to be home with them. I look forward to your recovery and seeing you when you are up to visitors. We will keep the prayers going in your behalf, you just do your part of getting stronger and better. Love to you and your family.
Love, Carol Liptrot

Anonymous said...

This newa makes for a happy heart for all of us. Wendy T.

Belinda said...

Wonderful news!!! Just what you have all been waiting for! (Us too!)
We pray this will definately continue!!
Love to you all.
Belinda and family x

britt said...

I am glad to hear you are feeling on the up and up, despite the non-restful night sleep. I hope and pray for your recovery to be positive and that you FINALLY get to leave the hospital soon. You soooooo deserve to leave that place and start the process to normalcy (not a word I'm sure). Keep positive thoughts and be strong. You are amazing!!

Anonymous said...

This one is going to work Jo!

Karen said...

Jodi...I am so glad you might be finally seeing the 'light at the end of the tunnel' regarding your hospital stay! I can't wait for you to be able to go home and be with your family, and stop being woken up 30 times each night to be poked and prodded. I hope you feel better fast and get home soon! XOXO, Karen

Janice said...

Aloha Jodi!
I am so sorry you had to undergo another surgery, and hope and pray this one does the trick and you can go home real soon!
Keep smiling!
Janice Morgan

Nichole Giles said...

Wow, I feel out of touch for being without Internet access for a week. Sounds like you've had an adventurous few days. What an experience.

You've been in our thoughts and prayers, even though I haven't been able to comment lately, and I'm so glad you're starting to feel a little better. Remember, even when things take a downturn, you will get past this and come away a different person.

Nicki

Unknown said...

Jodi and family,
I went to high school with Jodi. I believe she was in the graduating class the year before mine. I just found this blog tonight through another FHS grad on Facebook. I read every entry from beginning to end and am incredibly inspired by Jodi and her family. Thank you so much for sharing so much detail and keeping everyone up to date on her progress. I hope that this latest surgery will relieve the drainage of the CSF.
I just started nursing school at VCU in Richmond (as a second career choice) and am constantly amazed by the optimism of patients and their families.
I will definitely keep Jodi and your family in my thoughts. I will also keep Jodi in mind when giving care to my patients so that I can make sure to give the most thorough and loving care possible.
Thanks and keep up the hope!
Katie Newhouse